Thursday, May 14, 2015

you may use one but don't mention it.

            At t1, I come into existence and say nothing. At t2 I say, “the cat is on mat” and nothing else. But, at t2, the cat is not on the mat. At t3, I say, “I never tell the truth” and nothing else.  What exactly am I saying? Here are some options:
(1)  What I said at t2 is true.
(2)  What I said at t2 is not true.
(3)  What I said at t2 is true and what I am saying at t3 is true.
(4)  What I said at t2 is true and what I am saying at t3 is not true.
(5)  What I said at t2 is not true and what I am saying at t3 is true.
(6)  What I said at t2 is not true and what I am saying at t3 is not true.
If (1), then what I say is false, full stop.
If (2), then what I say is true, full stop.
If (3), then what I say is false, full stop.
If (4), then what I say is false, full stop.
If (5), then what I say is true, full stop.
If (6), then what I say is false, full stop.
Are there any other options?  If not, whatever it is I say at t3, it is not both true and false. Ergo, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.