Saturday, April 14, 2012

on total depravity. Or something near enough...

Here’s why Christianity (i.e., being a complete follower of Christ) is practically impossible. Jesus says that there is no (practical) limit to the amount of times a Christian ought to forgive those whom trespass against her. For, when Peter asks, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”, Jesus answers him saying, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven…” (Matt. 18: 21-22)

But let me say something rather obvious: no one can live that way. We can hope and pray and say and gesture and so on and so forth all we want, but no one can go on living his or her life in the way that most of us live out our daily lives forgiving each other over and over and over again—at least not for the bigger stuff…

And so, let us eat and drink [and be merry!], for tomorrow we die… (I Cor. 15:32)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.